Thursday, April 12, 2007

Easter weekend

Last weekend was so, so good. A much needed outdoorsy, relaxing break visiting the parents and friends back in Cumbria. I really wish I could live in the country now!

Good Friday saw us leave the house early and head for Coniston Village where we walked up the Old Man. Admittedly it like being at a rock show with all the people at the top but we did manage to get away from it all, having walked up the back (longer) route, past Goats Water and then proceeded onto Dow Crag and other peaks. Six hours later and after a swift half in the Black Bull (home of Coniston Brewery), we headed to K's mum and dad's where we had a lovely tea and refreshing shower before heading to meet friends at the pub. There was a so-so covers band on and we spent some time debating the fact that as we wanted to move into the quieter games room, did that mean we were old or just wanted to catch up. We decided the latter of course!

Saturday saw us go out for the day in honour of my nephew, B's birthday. We went to Ullswater with my mum, sister, nephew and his girlfriend. The rest of the family were either working or holidaying in Florida. We had a lovely picnic beside the water and then took out a motor boat and were amazed how still the water was. Usually one can get quite cold in the middle of a water course. We then visited a National Trust waterfalls walk which for me was far too busy. It reminded K of Yosemite National Park in America where most people just drove up, walked for half an hour, then got back in the car to move on to the next attraction.

In the evening my nephew invited us around to his dad's (my ex-brother-in-law) along with some other family peeps for some go-karting - he has just bought six twin engine go karts. We spent some time hurtling around the car park of his animal park (after closing). Brought out the speed demon in me I have to say. I didn't know I had it in me! Whooped my sis out of the water! When finally I had enough I pulled into the side to discover the ex-b-in-law had brought out his Ferrari and had been chasing me around the car park. Now I know this sounds a tall story but its all true....promise! When it got too dark we went indoors for chinese takeout. I was quite glad really as I had begun to panic with some of the risks K was taking. He did manage to burn his fingers on one of the engines on climbing out but its not major damage thankfully.

Sunday we were a bit shattered so we had quite a lazy morning but then because the weather was so good K & I decided we should go for a walk on the beach. We went down to Roanhead, which has gorgeous sand dunes and wildlife and we walked up along the beach as far as some interesting old temporary fishermen's huts (which people actually live in during summer), and then back along the dunes. As we ventured further than most it was actually quite deserted. Very beautiful scenery. I actually got a sunburnt forehead! Ouch. We then popped in on our old youth leader who is planning a bit of missionary work in India.

In the evening we caught up with old friends, J & C for a meal and then onto a beer festival at a local pub which actually really reminded me of Phoenix Nights with the old club singer and all.

Monday we took one of my other nephew's to The Hoad, a hill in Ulverston for the traditional egg rolling. It was quite mad really. We (being me, K, mum, sis and other nephew, A ) had a swim in the morning. K & I knew we were going but had thought A to be too old to be interested but how wrong were we. So with half an hour to go before kick off, my mum quickly boiled some eggs, we piled into the car, and decorated the eggs with felt tips on the way there. Turns out that even though the event is listed for 12 noon, it actually goes on all afternoon!!! Worked out for the best really, as some of my sis's really old friends were in the nearby old hall that provided home-made cakes.....yum and she had a catch up. A won a creme egg as he got one of our eggs into the sawn in half bucket at the bottom of the hill. Yay.

Hope you have enjoyed my "we did this", "we did that", "we did the other" l'il story. I'm rushing, and am not want to edit massively so am sorry if this comes across as the type of story one would do for school when the teacher would ask you to write about what you did at the weekend.

No comments: