Monday, March 26, 2007

Hey Big Spenders

Hey Big Spenders! Thats us this month and I don't like it. I hate huge sums of money leaving our savings dry but thats just what you have to do when your sofa decides that 12 years is quite enough and decides to go into retirement and you need new windows.

The reality is that the sofa could last another 5 minutes or 6 months but its going to a good home with K's work colleague who has just bought a house with 3 of her mates and are in sore need of furniture. That sofa is part of us though, its survived quite a few moves and was bought in our first rented flat in Blackheath, London and amazingly it has always fit our decor somehow. We're going from lovely vibrant royal blue to biege, or to give it a posh name, oatmeal. I never thought I would succombe to biege and am quite shocked with myself.

K & I have been pondering our future a lot in the last couple of months. What does it hold for us, where would we like to be, whats important, whats worth holding onto, what do we like/dislike, etc, etc. I'm not sure we've got any clear answers but its been important thrashing stuff out. I think the discussions started from my having a very unsettled patch & a bit emotionally shaky for one reason and another. What the future holds I'm not sure but at least I know we're working together .....

K's just gone off to Cheadle to pick up a pair of lawn edging shears. We're part of a Stockport freecyle group that's sole aim is to recycle household items and thus stop things going to the skip. Some of the things offered are quite bizzarre, like a rear exhaust box, I mean who would want one of those things?

We had a lovely trip to the Lake District last weekend. We stayed in a b & b ran by an old couple - a barn converted back in the 60s in the Borrowdale Valley. It surely must have one of the first barn conversions. Basically we had the whole of the top floor to ourselves, it having its own lounge with a roaring log fire. It was a case of really having four seasons throughout the weekend - we had it all including heavy snow on the Sunday! It was so relaxing and and lovely to get out for a walk on the fells.

We've had the offer of a cottage trip to Wales at Easter but we're thinking we probably need to head back Cumbria way to see the parents/family. I'm thinking an Easter Monday trip up The Hoad hill in Ulverston to do the traditional Pasche Egg rolling might be in order. Now just how do you prepare the eggs ready for painting?

The new windows are going in tomorrow and I'm really quite nervous. I have the attutide rightly or wrongly that all tradesmen are cowboys and are guilty until proven innocent! I think I must have trust issues! I'm quite glad I will be out of the way and K will be home to supervise tomorrow. Surely it must be alright when its our neighbours across the road's Uncle's business and their windows look lovely ;-/ Such angst I cause myself ...

No comments: